Contact Us Today 610-497-3579


How To Retake Your Prior Name If You Are Divorcing

Posted by Ted Hoppe | Aug 12, 2021 | 1 Comment

If you changed your name to your spouse's last name when you were married, Pennsylvania law allows you to retake your prior surname if you are getting divorced. This can be done any time after the divorce action is filed. 54 Pa. C.S. §704. The process is pretty simple. You complete a form called a Notice of Intention to Resume Prior Surname.  This form has to be notarized. The completed form is filed with the Office of the Prothonotary or Clerk where the divorce action was filed. Be sure to get a time stamped copy of the form. You can then use the filed copy of the form to have your name changed on your driver's license and anywhere else that has your married name that you are seeking to change. Tip - some places may require a certified copy of the form. When you file the form with the Court, ask for a certified copy. You can then make additional copies as needed. 

About the Author

Ted Hoppe

Hi, my name is Ted Hoppe and I have been an attorney in Pennsylvania for more than 25 years. In my practice, I focus on helping businesses and families with legal issues that affect them. Because I am knowledgeable and experienced on a variety of legal matters, I have built many long-term relatio...


Hirsch LLC Reply

Posted Apr 30, 2022 at 01:16:18

Thank you for sharing …. very useful information.

Leave a Comment

Contact Me Today

L. Theodore Hoppe, Jr., Esquire, Attorney at Law is an attorney you can trust to answer your questions, advise you on your rights, help you take the steps necessary to get the situation successfully resolved and if need be, to aggressively defend your rights in court.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.