Contact Us Today 610-497-3579


New Year’s Resolutions

Posted by Ted Hoppe | Dec 27, 2013 | 0 Comments

The beginning of a new year is often a time when people make resolutions about things they are going to do in the new year.  Whether it is losing weight, getting in shape or something else, we all want to start off on a good foot.  When making your resolutions, why don't you resolve this year to make sure that your legal affairs are in order?

  • If you have a Will, check to see if it is more than 3 years old.  If so, read through it to see if there are any changes that should be made.  Did you get married? Divorced? Have any new children or grandchildren?
  • If you do not have a Will and are over 18, then arrange to meet with an attorney and have a Will prepared for you.
  • Update your file folder with your financial records (account statements, insurance policies and the like) so that your family can easily access your financial information if something were to happen to you.  if you do not have such a folder, now is a good time to make one.

Attorney Fred Abramson recently made these additional recommendations for checking on your “Legal Health”

If you want to stay legally healthy you should take special care with documents by:

  • leading them carefully before you sign
  • asking for an explanation of anything you don't understand
  • keeping copies
  • putting all important agreements or contracts in writing
  • using certified mail for important documents so you can prove that you sent them
  • keeping documents like wills and trusts up-to-date by reviewing them after a marriage, certified domestic partnership, divorce, birth or death

You should use a bank safe deposit box to store documents that you rarely use such as:

You should keep for at least six years such papers as:

  • agreements, loan papers and similar documents
  • bank statements and cancelled checks
  • copies of income tax returns (bad debt or worthless securities deductions – 7
  • years)
  • insurance policies, including auto, homeowners and public liability
  • real estate tax bills

In case of theft or fire, you should keep in a safe place a list of personal property, including:

  • descriptions of the property
  • identification numbers
  • receipts
  • photos

You should get and keep receipts for:

  • rent payments, if you pay in cash
  • most purchases or payments

Your legal health will also will improve if you:

  • make a will once you are 18-years-old
  • make and keep notes on important conversations, especially if you talk about money, agreements or property
  • pay attention to any legal notices or demands you receive
  • get help for problems instead of ignoring them

How is your Legal Health,  by Fred Abramson, Esquire

About the Author

Ted Hoppe

Hi, my name is Ted Hoppe and I have been an attorney in Pennsylvania for more than 30 years. One of the things I enjoy best about being an attorney is meeting and getting to know the clients who come to my office. I have been privileged to build long-term relationships with many of these clients and am honored that they come back to me for advice when legal issues arise in their lives. Many of them have also referred their families and friends to me for legal services which, frankly, is the best thanks an attorney can get.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Me Today

L. Theodore Hoppe, Jr., Esquire, Attorney at Law is an attorney you can trust to answer your questions, advise you on your rights, help you take the steps necessary to get the situation successfully resolved and if need be, to aggressively defend your rights in court.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

L. Theodore Hoppe, Jr., Esquire - Attorney at Law
Mon: 08:00am - 03:30pm
Tue: 08:00am - 04:30pm
Wed: 08:00am - 04:30pm
Thu: 08:00am - 04:30pm